General Machine Products Co., Inc. Company Information
- United States
Founded by engineer George M. Pfundt in 1936, GMP started operations in a downtown Philadelphia building as a specialty machine shop doing work for the local Bell Telephone company and for the electric utility company. GMP expanded to a production shop after landing a contract with Western Electric Company and, subsequently, forming a close relationship with Bell Telephone Laboratories in Murray Hill, N.J., which enabled it to manufacture prototypes of products for experimental use within the Bell System. Having outgrown the original factory building, the company built a 100,000 square foot plant in Trevose, PA (a Philadelphia suburb) and moved there in 1957. Today GMP is recognized as a premier worldwide supplier of specialty tools and equipment for the outside plant marketplace. The company's products are known for their robust design and durability to withstand many years of frequent use.